Friday, July 27, 2012

Banning Plastic Bags Won't Solve Environment Problems

Before I say anything to defend my position on the plastic bag ban in Austin, let me first say that I believe it's important to take care of our planet. This is why I use a reusable cloth bag instead of plastic bags when I go to the store. I didn't need the government's permission to make that choice, and neither does anyone else. Anyone that wants to help the environment has always had the option not use plastic bags, and I don't think there is enough of an immediate danger involved with plastic bags to warrant government intervention. Many grocery stores have already spent money to limit the use of plastic bags, or provide people with ways of recycling the bags they use. Not to mention, there are many people who find other uses for the plastic bags they take from the store. In my family, my mom may use plastic bags to take groceries home, but my dad uses them to clean up after our dog on walks.

The motives for passing this bag ban are also very questionable. Apparently, the government felt the need to get involved because banning plastic bags will significantly reduce the litter we have in Austin, as well as keep more trash out of landfills. Although there is not much data in Austin to support or oppose their claim, all we have to do is look to the West and see how the bag ban has worked out for California. According to this article, a study on California's waste revealed that plastic bags only make up .5% of the state's waste stream, so it's not likely the ban will significantly help the environment. Not to mention, the people of San Jose are very upset about the ban, and are demanding to vote on this issue.

If we let the government ban plastic bags, who's to say they will stop there? Why not ban plastic bottles and make everyone drink out of glass? After all, the average plastic bottle weighs about a pound, and the average plastic bag weighs only an eighth of an ounce. Let's ban soda cups too because soda's bad for you and we don't want people drinking it. Actually, let's just ban soda. Honestly, child obesity is more of an immediate danger for our children than plastic bags.

If the government must get involved with this issue, they need to provide a better alternative than the reusable cloth bags. It costs stores more money to provide them, which trickles down and forces customers to not only pay for their groceries, but pay to transport them too. This is a big step backwards as far as the free market is concerned. Not to mention, according to a University of Arizona study, these cloth bags are prone to collect dangerous bacteria like E. coli. It's unacceptable for the government to force people to use these bags.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that littering and the overuse of landfills are problems that should be addressed, but banning plastic bags is not the way to go. The only thing this will accomplish is angering the people of Austin by making grocery shopping more expensive, and less convenient.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely agree with you. I live close enough to Buda that I will be doing all of my major shopping there.

    ReplyDelete